Bums, Beggars, Hippies, and Hitchhikers




I have never seen so many bums and beggars in my life! I knew there would definitely be more Liberals and hippies in Portland, but I would have never guessed it to be this extreme. On a daily basis I see a new batch. My first week here Zack and I ran into that guy at the Rose Festival with his sob story that didn't make sense as to why he needed an extra ten bucks. Zack saw the same guy the following week trying the same story on another lady! The next week I was alone fueling up my car and some old man came up to me and asked for gas money. Luckily, a truck full of boys came to my rescue and shouted out to go get a real job. I don't know if it's my Utah license plates or what, but I seem to be quite the target.

An interesting fact about these hippie-hitchhikers is that every year they have a convention where they all meet up and have a crazy party for a full week. Last year the "Rainbow Festival" was in New Mexico and the year before that it was in Tennessee. Turns out this year the event is held in Woodland, WA, which is the exact town we are living in. Nuts! No wonder I have seen such an outrageous amount of tie-dye lately!

No comments:

Post a Comment